Tuesday, May 27, 2014

Weekend Recap: Memorial Day!

Happy Tuesday! I hope each and everyone of you had an enjoyable Memorial Day Weekend! Did you do anything fun? I know it is the unofficial kickoff to Summer, but I hope sometime during the three day weekend, you took a moment to remember why we have the three day weekend, to remember all the brave men and women who paid the ultimate price for the love of their country and fellow citizens. 


 My brother and sister-in-law, Anne, came down for the long weekend, and Saturday we headed out to a furniture restoration center in Mananas. My parents are giving my brother and I both a trunk from my  Dad's dad(who I only met when I was a baby). They need some work, but I am looking forward to using it when it all restored! I see blanket storage in it's future!
 
I am also getting a small folding rocking chair refurnished too! It belonged to my great-great grandparents on my mom's side. The fabric above is the fabric that I picked out, and I can't wait till it is done.  I am seriously in the decorating mood since I am getting ready to move back to New York and into a new place. I can't wait to decorate and get all settled in! 


While I was picking out the fabric for the rocking chair, I found some other cute fabric that I want to make into pillows for our new couch. Yes, I think I have decided on a gray sectional for our new living room. Won't this fabric look good with the gray? Like I mentioned I am in major decorating mode, and have been spending way too much time looking at curtains! 

Saturday night, we had a family birthday dinner at Rustico in  Alexandria.  They have really yummy wood-oven pizzas and a large selection of beers, for all you beer lovers. Plus they do happy hour on Saturday's, so that is always nice. Shaun and I actually celebrated his 30th birthday there a few years ago! 


Sunday we had a cook-out with family and enjoyed the beautiful weather! My sister-in-law Anne is from Germany and had never had dirt cake before, so I thought it would a fun and yummy dessert to make.  And, you can't have dirt cake without some "worms"! I will be sharing the recipe for this yummy and easy dessert later this week.


I also contributed this awesome and delicious veggie plate for the BBQ! It was in honor of Shaun, and his love for veggie plates at events! ;) I will have to share that story in another blog post, but even though my hubby may be far away, I am still thinking of him.


It was seriously a BEAUTIFUL day to be outside, and just enjoying time with family! I know I will miss being so close to so much of my family when I move back to New York, but I am so looking forward to having the hubs home, and being with our Army family!
 


Another American ritual Anne had yet to experience was roasting marshmallows and making s'mores.  Our lovely neighbors invited us over to enjoy their fire pit, hang out, and of course roast marshmallows!  The picture above is Anne enjoying her first S'more! She loved it!


Fire, wine (in a plastic cup--made me think back to my good ole college days!), friends, and family! A perfect evening! 

Hope everyone else had a safe holiday weekend, and were able to spend time with the ones you love, and remembered the friends and families who have lost loved ones.

Hugs, 

Caroline

 

No comments:

Post a Comment